Friday, November 5, 2010

Legume Love?


No, Hell hasn't quite froze over and, no, I did not see any pics flying by during two hours of chilly, windy saddle time today.

I know that many of you are about to pass out from the shock. What, what, what? Mallie mentioning the evil legumes with the "L" word? I might not be to the actual love stage quite yet, but I'm willing to admit that I'm managing to add, and like that addition, beans to my vegetarian diet.

How? I'm roasting 'em before doing anything else with them. For me food issues are about two things. Flavor and texture. The bean issue had nothing to do with taste. Basically beans only taste like the spices used during their cooking. Nope, beans failed the texture side of the equation.

So far, I've roasted cannelini beans and chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Liking the chickpeas a bit more, as they are sturdier so you can toss them while roasting to get an overall crunch. The cannelinis were a little soft, but still totally edible.

I just roasted some chickpeas for tonight's meal. We're having a veggie Italian/Mex style quesadilla tonight. I'm actually looking forward to a meal that's 50% beans!

1 comments:

Georgie Fear, RD, CPT said...

Glad you're making friends with beans! They are so good for you, and kudos for being brave/openminded! So many people just swear off a food and never want to try it again!

:)
Hope you had a nice thanksgiving :)

Georgie

Post a Comment